Sunday, March 26, 2006

I fucking hate the Eagles.

Or: Genetics Really Can Be Blamed for Everything.

Job satisfaction is at an all-time low (working seven hour shifts as a cashier three days a week is not my idea of a fun time), but occasionally I get some crazies along with the bitchy people who want their sharpies half price ("But there was a 1/2 off sign right in front of them!" "Yes, I realize that. But the sign said that watercolor and colored pencils are on sale, not sharpies." This happened twice yesterday.) and overwrought soccer moms.

On Friday night, a middle aged man came in and had some things framed back in our framing area and brought them up to me to check out. One was an autographed picture of Helen Hunt. The other picture had five men on it, and it was also autographed.

Rach: Oh, who's this?
Guy: Oh, that's the Eagles band! Have you ever heard of them?
Rach bites her lip.
Rach: Yeah...I've heard of them.
Guy: Yeah? I'm impressed. What did you think?
Rach: I'm not really a fan.
Guy looks crestfallen.
Guy: Aw, that's a shame. Still, I'm impressed that you've even heard of them. Most young people haven't. What didn't you like?
Rach: Oh, well, I've been bred by my family to HATE the Eagles.
Guy: Oh...well, don't drop it out of spite or anything. HAHAHAH!

Jesus.

We listen to Muzak at work, too. Not regular elevator or dentist office Muzak. This is Muzak on crack. It is church songs. On any given day, you will hear three different renditions of "Ode to Joy" and "Amazing Grace". It's pretty terrible. Given my 9 or so years of Catholic schooling and 14 years of Catholic upbringing (I stopped going and practicing when I was 14), I can recognize songs as church songs but not know what they are. It drives me crazy. Friday was particularly awful, and I ended up asking the customer in my line, "Are you Catholic? Or did you go to catholic school? Because I can't think of what this song is, and it's driving me crazy." She turned out to be Methodist, but they sing that song at their church too. It drove her nuts that she couldn't think of it, either, so she told me she'd ask her mom and the next time she came in she'd tell me. She came back two hours later and said "Rachel? That song is called 'Seek Ye First'." and then left again.

That's what working at Hobby Lobby is like. At least I get Sundays off.

1 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Anonymous CroutonBoy said...

I feel your pain. I used to work in a grocery store that piped in Muzak versions of the Beach Boys. I wanted to gouge my eyes out with asparagus spears.

And yes, Green Day rocks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home