Monday, March 13, 2006

I'm the son of rage and love

Jesus of Suburbia : Green Day

At the ripe age of 18, I like to think of myself as a music conessieur. We all know that isn't true, but let me have my dreams. Anyway, Green Day has been around for as long as I can remember. I listened to the pop station from the time I was eight until I was about thirteen, so they were always in and out of that. I loved them from the time I was about fourteen on, but I didn't really start paying much attention to them until this year. For me, they were kind of like Outkast. I loved hearing them on the radio, but I never really bothered to go get any of their albums. I think it was that goddamn "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" that kept me from actually getting an album of theirs. I can't fucking stand that song. I even wore my Green Day hoodie everywhere. My (now ex) step-brother had gone to their concert and bought the wrong size, so he gave it to me.

The truth that has been staring at me since I was 14. GREEN DAY IS FUCKING AWESOME. They went through a slump in the late 90's, but they are coming back, and it's great. I make fun of him for it, but Billy Joe really does look kind of cute with all that eyeliner on.

This song in particular (all 9 minutes of it) is really great. It's Green Day, so you don't really think of their songs in terms of their lyrical quality, but there are some great subtleties in this song that you don't catch on the first listen. The best example I can think of is "while the moms and Brads are away". The rest of the song is great because it's so typically teenaged. It isn't whiny in the "my life is sooooooo unfair oh woe! alas!" way. It's furious.

And they're really fun, too!

I remember in my junior year of high school (much of the summer before had been spent at 7-11 getting slushies), I borrowed a friend's copy of International Superhits. I told her that I still had it at lunch one day and told her I'd bring it back tomorrow. She looked mortified and later told me (kind of angrily), "I can't believe you said that in front of everyone." I didn't and still don't get what the big deal was. Why was it okay to like Green Day in private but not in public? So what that they're poppy. So what that that they were in a slump.

I don't understand guilty pleasures much, but I did just recently come flying out of the Bon Jovi closet, so I guess I should just shut up and go to class.

1 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Anonymous freezio said...

Green Day was just out when I was finally realizing that I'm too old to really be cool ever again. On a tangent to this subject, a couple of bands from my halcyon days which have apparently been resurrected:
1. Bad religion. I'm not sure if I just accidentally tuned into some kind of time-warp radio program, but there they were. Bad as ever.
2. The Pixies. Somehow (this does not seem possible does it?) they have, or will soon produce another album. I wish I were more clear on this, but I only half hear almost all my inputs due to my loud child.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home